Now that the storm has gone and many of you or your property managers are returning to the affected area, we wanted to let you know that we’re still here to support you! What follows are some tips and resources that we hope you will find useful.
Storm Damage Mitigation Tips
Your First Priority: Keep yourself, property managers and tenants safe by following the instructions given by local authorities regarding re-entry and any other emergency procedures.
Visit your affected property/properties as soon as safely possible: Take photographs of the damages. Please note that it is your obligation per the insurance policy to mitigate any further damage by taking all reasonable precautions to ensure the security of your property. Mitigation expenses you incur for a covered loss are considered part of your claim. Such steps include water extraction, roof tarping and securing the property.
In any type of loss, you will usually be required to:
- Contact your insurance company in a timely manner to advise them of the loss.
- Contact the authorities when appropriate.
- File a police report if a crime has been committed.
- In the event of a fire, file a fire report.
- Take photos or videos of the damage, or both.
- Make any necessary temporary repairs to prevent further damage to the property.
- Set aside any damaged materials for the adjuster to examine.
- Save all receipts from any temporary repairs made. These are usually considered a part of your claim.
- Get an estimate from a reliable contractor. (Obtaining several is advisable.)
Questions about Your NREIG Coverage or If Your Property is Damaged:
- Call NREIG at 800-790-4872 or e-mail your CSR with any questions or concerns.
To Report Damage or Report an Incident with NREIG:
To formally initiate the claims process, please complete the link below, providing as much information as possible.